Architecture of an Asylum: St. Elizabeths 1852-2017
Exhibition, National Building Museum, Washington D.C, US.
For the past decade, much of this National Historic Landmark, a sprawling campus of 19th- and 20th-century structures, was closed to the public. In concert with its massive transformation, the National Building Museum presents an exhibition that explores the architecture and landscape architecture of St. Elizabeths. The Government Hospital for the Insane, as it was originally named, opened in 1855 as a federally operated facility. The multi-disciplinary exhibition tells the story of its change over time, reflecting evolving theories of how to care for the mentally ill as well as the later reconfiguration of the campus as a federal workplace and mixed-use urban development.