Grupo R: Motor of Modernity
Exhibition, MACBA, Barcelona, Spain, 07 February - 24 June 2014
Grupo R was formed in Barcelona in 1951. According to its statutes, the aim of the group was ‘the study and diffusion of the problems of contemporary art, especially architecture’. Under the letter R, for cultural and architectural Renovation and Recuperation, the members of the group belonged to two generations of architects: those who studied prior to the Civil War and those who studied afterwards. The two generations were united by a common interest in promoting international modernist architecture and its subsequent critique, in response to the poor architectural landscape of the earlier years of the Franco regime. This exhibition retraces the ideas and works of this group of architects whose actions contributed to the consolidation of a vernacular form of modern aesthetics.